Photo

Different options for dipping your zoa's

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gtouk1981

gtouk1981

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Dettol............

After losing my bottle of coral rx the last few nights i have been reading up on differant options, that other option was DETTOL
Today i ended up dipping my 3 new corals (zoa's) in dettol after a quick trip to tesco and £3.50 later for a 750ml bottle i was sorted.

(PLEASE USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Directions.....

Ok this is nice and simple

1. Remove a litre of tank water or even use the water from the bag that you bought the zoa's in make sure you measure out 1 litre.
2. Add 0.3-0.5ml's of dettol and give it a good mix.
3. Place the coral in for 5 minutes.
4. After 5 minutes give it a good shake or blast with a turkey baster in the solution to free any nasties from the coral
5. Leave for another 5 minutes and repeat 
6. Get some more tank water to rinse the coral in before returning it to the tank.

I found 4 nudi's dead so it definitly works well

Enjoy

Ok  i found this on another forum and thought it would be good idea to post here
Freshwater Dip

*Caution* this procedure is not recommended for palys or protopalys, as it can result in melting.

Preparation:

prepare a container of fresh water (preferably RO water), by adding a buffer (baking soda works fine) until the pH matches the pH of your aquarium, and raising the temperature of the freshwater till it matches that of your aquarium. A light concentration of Iodine (approx. 4 drops/gallon) may also be added to the water as well (Lugol’s, Kent Marine’s Concentrated Iodine, or Seachem’s Reef Dip).

Dipping:

dip the polyps for 3 to 5 minutes, swishing them aggressively throughout the dipping period. Rinse in a separate container of aquarium water and return or place in the aquarium.

Effectiveness:

Freshwater dips may be effective in removing various pests and for treating some diseases in the beginning stages. Be advised however that it does stress the polyps themselves, and thus is not usually recommended for use with polyps that are already unhealthy.

FURAN-2
*Caution* using FURAN-2 as a zoa dip is different than using it for treating fish, the water to med ratio for a zoa dip is much different than what is given on the box.

Preparation:

Prepare a container of water by dissolving one packet of FURAN-2 in one cup of freshly made saltwater (mix well). Raise the temperature of the water till it matches that of your tank. The water will be a greenish/yellow color.

Dipping:

Place the polyps in the dip for as little as 5 minutes, but no more than 20. FURAN-2 works better at higher temperatures, so if you have the means slowly increase the temperature to 84° during the dipping process. If you can’t raise the temperature, be sure and maintain it at tank temperature. Remove the polyps and rinse in a container of tank water before placing back into your tank. Polyps may retain a yellow/greenish coloration, but that is normal and will go away in a day or two.

Polyps should be dipped once a day for three consecutive days. After completion of the dipping process allow a 5 to 7 day resting period before dipping again, if symptom persist. If you notice any adverse affects as a result of the treatment, stop treatment immediately.

Effectiveness:

FURAN-2 is effective in combating both Gram positive and Gram negative bacterial infections, as well as fungus. It is also the primary recommended method of treatment for zoa pox.

Iodine
*Caution* Iodine if administered incorrectly can be lethal to polyps, follow the directions carefully.

Preparation:

prepare a container of water by removing a cup or gallon of water from your aquarium. For a light dip, add approximately four drops of iodine to a gallon of water. For a more concentrated dip, add four drops to a cup. For a full strength dip, Lugol’s Iodine calls for 40 drops per gallon. Stir the water to distribute the iodine throughout the container.

Dipping:

dip the polyps by submersing them in the dip for 5 to 15 minutes, swish the polyps aggressively during the dipping process. Rinse in a separate container of aquarium water before returning them to the aquarium. In the effect that the zoas are in really bad shape, you can paint the concentrated iodine solution directly onto the affected areas and allow the zoas to sit on a table or counter for 3 to 5 minutes (*caution* use extreme caution and remain observant if you employ this technique).

Effectiveness:

Iodine is an antiseptic, and is effective in treating both bacterial and fungal disease. It is also lethal to many invertebrates such as nudis and flatworms, and is an effective preventative measure after fragging.

Revive Coral Treatment
This is what I have used and have had some success with it

Preparation/Dipping:

follow the directions on the bottle.

Effectiveness:

Revive is an antiseptic and is effective in treating bacterial infections, nudis, and flatworms. It is also an effective preventative measure for damaged or fragged corals.

Regardless of the dipping technique that you use to aid your struggling zoanthids, it is best to place the affected zoas in an area of high flow when returning them to the aquarium. The exception to this would be the hydrogen peroxide dip, which can actually cause the polyps to float.

Coral rx

Treatment:Treatment should be done in a quarantine tank. First step is to move the effected corals to a quarantine tank; the quarantine tank should have good light and water flow. Setup your quarantine tank, then take your coral out of the main tank and dip it in Coral Rx. While the coral is in CoralRx take a turkey baster, and blast the coral with the dip. Making sure it is getting in between the polyps and the underside of the coral. Do this for approximately 5 - 10 minutes. After 5 - 10 minutes, remove coral and discard the coral dip. Do not reuse the coral dip as parasites may release toxins. Rinse coral with clean saltwater and return to quarantine tank. Repeat every 4-8 days till no more nudibranchs are found. Leave the coral in your quarantine system for an additional 3 months before moving back to your aquarium. Additionally, adding wrasses to your quarantine tank will also aid in treatment of Zoanthid Eating Nudibranchs.

ADDED CORAL RX

14363922810_ebdf5abb3b_b.jpg

#2 SteelReef

SteelReef
  • LocationRingmer, East Sussex
  • Wish List:Xmen, Paradise, Ultimate Chaos, Utter Chaos, Darth Maul, Spider-Man, Desert Storm, Witches Brew, Bam Bam, Black Hornets, Creamsicle, Blondies, That'll do for now!
  • My Real Name:Aslan

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

He does coral rx compare to the above procedures?

#3 gtouk1981

gtouk1981

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I have no idea i'm sorta pooping my self as iv just dipped all my zoa's in fresh water as i couldnt find my rx and in the caution in the fresh water section say paly's can melt :(

#4 SteelReef

SteelReef
  • LocationRingmer, East Sussex
  • Wish List:Xmen, Paradise, Ultimate Chaos, Utter Chaos, Darth Maul, Spider-Man, Desert Storm, Witches Brew, Bam Bam, Black Hornets, Creamsicle, Blondies, That'll do for now!
  • My Real Name:Aslan

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Oh dear, I wouldn't worry too much, I've only ever used RO water as I have got around to researching coral rx or iodine dipping. All my frags have been fine.

#5 gtouk1981

gtouk1981

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Added Dettol to the list at the top

#6 gtouk1981

gtouk1981

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

45 minutes after the dip with dettol

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 mutley

mutley
  • LocationWolverhampton

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Just a quick question.Do you have any references as to where the Dettol idea came from. Seen a recent thread on UR but looking for more established evidence.

Did Google this but brought up zilch.However, as a side issue it did bring up an article that stated that Revive and Melafix use tea tree Oil as their main ingredient. Hope some of these remedies work, better than being ripped off with snake oils like Rx

#8 gtouk1981

gtouk1981

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Just a quick question.Do you have any references as to where the Dettol idea came from. Seen a recent thread on UR but looking for more established evidence.

Did Google this but brought up zilch.However, as a side issue it did bring up an article that stated that Revive and Melafix use tea tree Oil as their main ingredient. Hope some of these remedies work, better than being ripped off with snake oils like Rx

im just popping out for the day so ill try and put up what made me try it later tonight or tomorrow

#9 gtouk1981

gtouk1981

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

i did read somewhere that coral rx is something like dettol and tea tree oil and ro but i cant seem to find it now

#10 smug

smug
  • LocationNottingham
  • Wish List:Any great looking unnamed zoas

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Tea tree oil would be a good covering smell to mask the use of bleaching agents. Interesting.......

Smug's Reef In A Box Tank Thread.
http://www.ukzoaswap...-reef-in-a-box/

#11 Dsea

Dsea
  • LocationWinchester / Plymouth
  • My Real Name:Dave

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Well coralrx states no iodine or oxidising agents so I think that rules out bleach or detol type chemicals...I have been meaning to delve into treatments so il see what research I can find on anything.

As a caution against calling things snake oil or presuming natural remedies may always work, I know tea tree oil has mixed results on bacterial infections that isnt related to gram positive or negative bacteria like most true antibiotics. I never found any good proof why but it just seems to not always work but does work on some types. it just doesn't seem to follow specific rules.

#12 MagicalBadger

MagicalBadger
  • Wish List:Moon on a stick
  • My Real Name:Rodders

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Clove oil is the magic ingredient IMO

#13 Dsea

Dsea
  • LocationWinchester / Plymouth
  • My Real Name:Dave

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Iv used clove oil in place of proper anaesthetics before, or when euthanising fish, I'm not sure if it s fatal in overdose as. Generally waited for the fish to go belly up for 5 minutes with no perceivable reflexes then added alcohol and stuck in the freezer....so could be any of them that finish it off:P

Either way if its in coralrx it could be what knocks out or kills many little critters, and if there's a blend of tea tree, bay leaf, clove and other such common natural remedies which various degrees of anti fungal / bacterial / septic properties then i bet it would be fairly effective against a lot esp at higher doses in the bath like scenarios.

Many treatments are under dosed and used for prolonged exposure which is often less effective than the bath methods, but its also why bath treatments like coralrx can't be used to treat the whole tank as without 100% water change or at least large rapid decrease gradual decrease or under dosing. for whatever reason, be it cost, consumer mistakes, unable to accurately measure so as not to overdose. Repeat removal / handling may cause more stress and problems / damage than the treatment.

#14 WelshWizard

WelshWizard
  • LocationNorth west kent
  • Wish List:clockwork orange, hells angels. Hallucination, stratosphere, time machine,
  • My Real Name:Matt

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Very helpful post, thanks.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Wish List:Just to get it right eventually.

Coming soon
  • My Real Name:Terry

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Well I've used Dettol recently after taking a leaf out of Tony's book and wouldn't use anything else from now on. It works a treat :)

#16 Johanvh

Johanvh
  • LocationBarton upon Humber, North Lincolnshire

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yup they jump off fast if there are any nasties on them.

#17 MrMo

MrMo
  • LocationIlford, Essex
  • My Real Name:Mo

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for sharing those methods Tony, god knows why I even bothered buying the Coral RX now lol

Mo.

#18 homersainty

homersainty
  • LocationHaverhill (Suffolk)
  • Wish List:a Krakatoa or two
    and a few shazzam
  • My Real Name:David

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

im playing with Milton sterilising fluid atm I am thinking if it's safe for baby's should be reef safe ?

#19 robster

robster
  • LocationDaventry Northants
  • Wish List:Just looking for something nice
  • My Real Name:Robbie

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

im playing with Milton sterilising fluid atm I am thinking if it's safe for baby's should be reef safe ?

I might have a go with that myself

zs-badge-blueeyed.pngzs-badge-anemone.pngzs-badge-lightled.pngzs-badge-flood.pngzs-badge-rasta.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users