Photo

Do Asterina stars bother zoas?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cvx195

Cvx195
  • LocationMarket weighton
  • Wish List:Helms deeps, Purple Hornets, Red hornets, Visuvius, Black hole Suns, Bam bam, Blue hornets, Blue kiss, Fireworks, Electra, Frozen hornets, HD Smurfs blood, Night crawler, Black hornets, TDF Vampires, Pink fantasy
  • My Real Name:Andrew

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

Hi everyone

Just started converting my fowler tank to keep zoas and softies but there is a small population of these stars in the tank. Are they likely to go for my zoas and damage them?

Just added some gsp and they seem to be eatin it which has me worried?

#2 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

GSP is a pita....the amount of hours I've spent trying to get rid of the stuff.....would make you cry!!

Yeah it's a nice coral but when it takes hold ...it spreads like wild fire , covering all your other corals.
If your going to keep it , keep it on its own and away from your rocks!!

I thought about getting some asternias to control my GSP prob.....but was told they like the zoas too......and they won't care which one they eat!!

But if you need the stars gone ...just get a harlequin shrimp....and they will be gone in days

#3 Cvx195

Cvx195
  • Wish List:Helms deeps, Purple Hornets, Red hornets, Visuvius, Black hole Suns, Bam bam, Blue hornets, Blue kiss, Fireworks, Electra, Frozen hornets, HD Smurfs blood, Night crawler, Black hornets, TDF Vampires, Pink fantasy

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

Heard a few people say they got over run with gsp,will move it away from my main rockwork tonight.

Harlequin shrimp it is then as really don't want the little buggers going after my zoas when they arrive.

Thanks for the reply chop chop.

Btw,are you on UR with the rsm zoa tank?

#4 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

I think all of us are on UR.....but no I haven't got the RSM tank....I got a RS900

If you get the harlequin shrimp...remember it only eats star fish...so once you've run out of stars......pass it on or take back to the shop...or it will die!!

#5 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • LocationCornwall
  • My Real Name:Guess

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

I've got green Asterinas and they never touch my zoas.

Some white ones came in on something recently and they do go for them.

#6 Cvx195

Cvx195

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

Mine are definitely white,been there the whole 3 year life if the tank and only now there a problem.

looking like a ride around lfs to find a harlequin i can buy and return.

Thanks for the replies.

#7 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Wish List:Just to get it right eventually.

Coming soon
  • My Real Name:Terry

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

There are mixed opinions with regards to Asterinas as this thread already indicates. Some people maintain that they will eat your Zoas and others never have a problem with them. The third opinion is that they only eat dead or dying Zoas. You will probably never get a definitive answer. If it was me and I was thinking of buying expensive stock then the Asterinas would have to go I'm afraid.

#8 Cvx195

Cvx195

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Probably looking at keeping mid lvl stuff so would have thought there needing to go. Thanks for the replies and hopefully a harlequin will eat the little buggers into extinction.

#9 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Wish List:Just to get it right eventually.

Coming soon
  • My Real Name:Terry

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

Probably looking at keeping mid lvl stuff so would have thought there needing to go. Thanks for the replies and hopefully a harlequin will eat the little buggers into extinction.

Just remember that once the Harlequin shrimp has eaten all your Asterinas which will probably not take too long then it's going to starve unless you supply it with alternative starfish or move it on.

#10 Mgb2010

Mgb2010
  • LocationShetland, UK
  • Wish List:Blue Hornets
    Red Hornets
    Night Fury
  • My Real Name:Michael

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

100% certain that the asterina stars that I used to have did eat healthy
Zoas! Harlequin shrimp cleared every last one in 2 - 3 weeks. I fed it in frozen starfish caught locally, but moved it on as I didn't like bits of dead starfish floating around.
zs-badge-zoaswap.pngzs-badge-tank500.pngzs-badge-lightled.pngzs-badge-bluehornet.pngzs-badge-lps.pngzs-badge-sps.pngzs-badge-anemone.png

#11 Cvx195

Cvx195

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Think if i get one it will only be short term to deal with the asteneria and then return to lfs for rehoming.

#12 Alburglar

Alburglar
  • LocationDover, Kent.
  • Wish List:Mega Rainbow, Rainbow God Of War, Eye of Saurons, Joes Emperor, Gator aid, CB Juicy Fruits And anything bright blue, pink, red.
  • My Real Name:Alastair

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:05 AM

Mine never go anywhere near them, day or night. But I always stick them in sump when I see them.

#13 Limerboy

Limerboy

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:12 AM

35905f8763d9b1518d7b524f6dfe212e.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 Sergei_14

Sergei_14
  • Locationhampshire

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Interesting read. I'm looking into starting my zoa collection again and I currently have loads of asterina starfish. Looks like I will have to start removing them or risk it but when your getting expensive zoas! Hmmm what to do

#15 ColinRoo

ColinRoo
  • LocationEssex
  • Wish List:BamBam's
    Many others

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:59 AM

Hey,

I lost basically all my zoa's about 2 years ago had hundreds, couldn't find anyhting doing it, Had asterina's(white-black-green-orange-grey) since I started and never an issue with any corals even gps. they even lay egg in my nano often, I watch this happening day and night for weeks on end and all of a sudden the asterinas started eating the dying polyps.

One afernoon about a month after all my zoa's had gone I found 2 MASSIVE flat worms !!!!

I would say your safe with asterina's

Colin.

#16 Saucyguy19

Saucyguy19
  • LocationGloucestershire
  • Wish List:Tyre Space Monster
    Clockwork orange
    Seduction
    Black Hornets
    Ultimate chaos
    Dragon god pe
    Hallucination
    Sakura Sunrise
    Stratosphere
    Shazzam
  • My Real Name:Andy

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

I can say without a doubt that the WILL eat perfectly healthy polyps given the chance. However there are several different types and not all are zoa munchers. After watching them on several occasions take out entire colonies. Get rid of the stars and the zoas stop disappearing is no coincidence. I have also taken them off zoas that they have clamped onto that are still perfectly healthy and open back up a few hours later. I get rid of any I find now. But then asterina is not a species but a genus so has many different species, I have also seen first hand others in the genus take out large acro colonies over time. Strip them in odd places (ie not usual stripping paterns) remove the stars from the coral and the stripping stops. Some won't touch corals some will and some won't touch them for a long time until their usual food reduces and their numbers have increased then they look for others to eat. I can identify at least 4 different species of the stars in my 9fter and some are coral munchers.

Andy

My little slice of reef ;)

http://www.ukzoaswap...ce-of-the-reef/

#17 Frag

Frag
  • Wish List:Utter chaos
    Hells satan's
    Mega mauls
    Devils chaos
    HD smufs blood
    Nuclear fallout
    Night crawler
    Night fury
  • My Real Name:Shaun

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

Totally agree that they do eat or seem to be very attracted to healthy zoas, I'm constantly plucking them of my healthy polyps that they've clamped down on. It's not just a one off thing I'm doing this on a regular basis.

#18 jamesdarcy

jamesdarcy
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:08 AM

I had an outbreak of asterisms stars not long anti and could actually see where they had killed off zoa heads... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users