• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andycampbell21

andycampbell21
  • Locationwakefield, west yorkshire
  • Wish List:hallucinations, nightmares, bowsers, sonic flare
  • My Real Name:andy

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

Ok so I hope someone can help as I've had what I think is a good idea. More often than not they turn out to be bad ones lol

Do zoas grow well on acryilic sheets?

My thinking is to grow colony's on acrylic to help with fragging as they would just easily lift off the sheet or am I totally wrong?

Cheers

Andy :D

#2 jjcooldj2015

jjcooldj2015
  • LocationBrixham, Devon
  • Wish List:Hallucinations
    Seduction P. E.
    Utter chaos
    Kh sunburst
    Og nightmares
    My clems
    Scrambled eggs
  • My Real Name:DAVE.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

Ya not wrong bud. Iv seen zoas grown on glass and ceramic tiles so I don't see why you can't use acrylic sheet for growing purposes.

#3 kroozing

kroozing
  • LocationBarnsley
  • Wish List:Anything bright and pretty.
  • My Real Name:Chris

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

Reef culture used to do grow out disc that were acrylic for this purpose. I sometimes use ceramic tiles as the polyps just slide off.

#4 JK1

JK1
  • LocationHenlow, Bedfordshire
  • Wish List:Delerium, Gagmel, HD Pinks, Intergalactic planetary, Krakatoa, Lucifers, Mega Marleys, My Medusa, Nightmare, Poker face, Purple Flares, Purple hornets, Red dwarf, Ring of fire, Salted Agave, Solar fusion, Tinkerbell, Tyreehouse of horror
  • My Real Name:John

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Once you can get them to stick, acrylic is awesome, I find it less likely to get them to attach on acrylic though.

r42p.jpg

#5 andycampbell21

andycampbell21
  • Locationwakefield, west yorkshire
  • Wish List:hallucinations, nightmares, bowsers, sonic flare
  • My Real Name:andy

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

Would you suggest anything other than acrylic then. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers

Andy :D

#6 Fragzilla

Fragzilla
  • LocationSurrey
  • Wish List:JF Asskrak (pending), Master Krak (pending), Fallen sun hornet, Bowser (pending) Shazaam, electric oompaloompa, sonic flare, rumble bumble, spectrum, JF Crazy Ladies, Adonis, Acid Chaos, Treehouse of Horrors, Fairy Tails, Flamming Mohicans (pending) JF Acid Reflux (pending), PZ Cemsicle (pending), Stratosphere.
  • My Real Name:Nick

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:48 AM

Mine attach to my acrylic rack all the time.

When I need to move them they easily frag. If your careful and have the knack you can lift the plug and Mat without damaging the zoas. Then you just have a flat sheet of zoas to cut into frags.

I had a small colony of granny apples attach to the rack, I lifted them and a few days later they had reattached to the rack.

I've got goblins fire on a acrylic rack in my DT, they're all over It, like weeds, and now they're growing on the glass also.

I think when zoas are happy they'll spread and grow pretty much anywhere, as long as nothing is putting them off from spreading into the space.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 klynn

klynn

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

Mine attaches to acrylic frag racks all the time and as Nick said above easy to frag when you lift off carefully. Might give some acrylic a try but can you get them on some websites like 1inch to 2inch square blocks15-20mmis thick.. so it easily sinks where you want them to be in tank.

I have few success with putty left over from scaping, flatten them and it was fairly easy fragging as you can cut through or scrape the putty it self with blade without actually damaging the zoa.

:)

#8 Alburglar

Alburglar
  • LocationDover, Kent.
  • Wish List:Mega Rainbow, Rainbow God Of War, Eye of Saurons, Joes Emperor, Gator aid, CB Juicy Fruits And anything bright blue, pink, red.
  • My Real Name:Alastair

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

Why not use sand paper to scuff up a small 5p sized central area. They will adhere well to the keyed surface and grow out onto the easily frag-able smooth bits of the acrylic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users