Photo

Recycled frag tank

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 RyanB

RyanB
  • LocationSt Leonards on Sea
  • Wish List:Blue planet grandis, fairy farts, emeralds on fire, cyber demons, alien eye black people eater, cherry charms and many more I can't remember the names off

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

Had a bit of spare time today so decided to make use of it. So out to the garage and started to strip down my old 3' tank. The plan is to take the tank apart and clean up the glass panels and re-use them. The tank measures 36"x18"x12" so when it goes back together it will measure 36"x12x18 giving me a shallower but wider tank. Progress so far 582ffca092f9e1cf229d25d64201593b.jpgcd410e9a83548be55df188a0357af056.jpg7e3417d9918fb013a53640ee1a743aa3.jpgdef90765be9ebc74c7bee5d2fc0ba959.jpg Its taken me a whole 30 mins to get that far....basically the time it took to fill my ro container to fill up as thats all the Mrs would let me have until tomorrow.... So forgive the slow progress on this one as it may take some time..

#2 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

I'll get some popcorn in then!!..

#3 RyanB

RyanB
  • Wish List:Blue planet grandis, fairy farts, emeralds on fire, cyber demons, alien eye black people eater, cherry charms and many more I can't remember the names off

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

Ha ha make sure its a big bag then... It'll move faster than my shed did thats for sure....its got to the other one is too small... Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

#4 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

Oh Lordy ...I forgot about your shed!!.......ill grab my bivvy and sleeping bag and a months supplies!!...ha ha ha

#5 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Wish List:Just to get it right eventually.

Coming soon
  • My Real Name:Terry

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

Good luck with the recycling Ryan, it's something I would have (and have) done myself. I recycled an old sump that I made a while back and turned it into my refugium. The only problem that I had stripping it down was that I'd made the sump too well and had to put a hammer through an end panel in order to strip it down. I hope it goes well mate. :)

#6 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:35 AM

Oh Lordy ...I forgot about your shed!!.......ill grab my bivvy and sleeping bag and a months supplies!!...ha ha ha

Ha ha ha and there was me thinking I'd get in there first and you'd forgot....dang it...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

#7 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:45 AM

Good luck with the recycling Ryan, it's something I would have (and have) done myself. I recycled an old sump that I made a while back and turned it into my refugium. The only problem that I had stripping it down was that I'd made the sump too well and had to put a hammer through an end panel in order to strip it down. I hope it goes well mate. :)

Thanks Terry, luckily for me I'm in the right trade and have lots of very useful tools just for this sort of thing. I had re sealed this one a few years ago so it wasn't too bad. But a long knife for windscreen removal is an excellent tool for the job.. I'll have an hour today so will move it on a bit more hopefully..

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

#8 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool

Coming soon

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

Sounds like you might have this sorted then mate. Good luck :)

#9 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Sounds like you might have this sorted then mate. Good luck :)

Fingers crossed, I've still got to cut the glass yet and thats where i usually fall flat..

Just bought a couple of black mollies for the small tank and they are now drip acclimating for a few hours before release. Then its water changes on both tanks as well..

#10 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

Thought i should update this as i nothing has happened with it..
Well i got bored of cleaning the old glass up even with various stuff to make it easier....
So when i was wandering around one of the lfs i found a little aqua one opti white tank that was just sitting there all dirty. So asked the guy how much and then haggled a bit and walked out with a very nice tank....

So it measures 60x40x40 cm and holds 85 litres.. Its predominantly going to be a quarantine tank but may as well contain a few frags as well whilst its running.
The plan is to keep it simple with a heater, light and internal filter. It will have a sand bed and some rock for the fish to hide around..

The progress so far..
8ffeecc97eb35916caf226f36a3f5af5.jpg

a53f9c2601e1012e2e481280be02b2bc.jpg

Thats all for now until the filter arrives and i clean some of my old rock up..

#11 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

Its wet the heaters in and the filters running. Will continue to fill over the next few days as I'm using the water from my dt to get it running and cycling nicely.
bb199466d3137c6b785b464a9cfef27f.jpg

Next to the display system

a0351953e0ebfcef17de74a2319cf7c4.jpg

Once quarantine has been done i will either move everything to the garage or plumb it to the display and run it along side..

#12 fish4london

fish4london
  • Locationorpington
  • Wish List:strawberry Wine,God of War
  • My Real Name:Steve

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

I remember my days of side by side tanks , i think the wife would kill me if i tried that again now :)

#13 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

I remember my days of side by side tanks , i think the wife would kill me if i tried that again now :)

Ha ha i get away with it because its in the hallway, although the Mrs is complaining about the light being too bright and its only on three of the six tubes... :lol:

#14 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

Transferred a bits today 0144d34ecbbd65a031c22d9b8f44b25e.jpgb34fbe8e7e208a72a010295bea883b19.jpga5c39a635eeeedfaffec7b02ab55c469.jpg

#15 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

Finished my new frag rack today just got to remove the screws. Unfortunately after 2 and a half hours of carefully drilling all 48 holes i bloody dropped it and broke the corner :angry: its glued back together now and still usable 7a7448fc269c8dc777ed6cebd0850f5b.jpg

#16 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

2 1/2 hrs of drilling.??.......you want to get yourself a girlfriend !!..ha ha ha

#17 jamesdarcy

jamesdarcy
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

👍 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

Thought I'd update this thread as things have now progressed quite a bit since starting it. The little tank has now been drilled and now runs alongside the display tank as part of the system. After being given a one eyed clown fish(from chopchop) the family got rather attached to her so we bought another to keep her company. So a little mizbar clown was chosen by my daughter. The tank then evolved into what is now officially the mini reef. ca6b68d2a70d7f35abf2a9e15240e808.jpg28c6cc3b44cdc589c24bb82dfacb1ee0.jpge63592c1985db883a75195df5f2e3393.jpgb3cc5e26a711f79fb5d5654328a2e8ad.jpgd39eb1d85ed78137bdfc2d765fa6878a.jpgec175bed457b986fcb3a94d868698b06.jpg The good thing with this tank is i can move corals between them without any issues with water conditions and such. So my aip eating file fish can move between tanks and the acans that he's also partial to can be moved out of his reach :)

#19 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool

Coming soon

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

That's looking excellent mate. The Clowns will love it! Any plans for a Nem?

#20 RyanB

RyanB

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:20 AM

That's looking excellent mate. The Clowns will love it! Any plans for a Nem?

Thanks mate. No plans for a nem as the last one walked into a power head and wiped out half of the corals in my tank. Its only just really starting to recover properly now..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users