Poly box / heat pack postage method

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Tojo

Tojo
  • My Real Name:tony

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi guys

Tony has prepared a nice little tutorial about how to send your zoa's using a heat pack and poly box. 

Having read some threads it seems there are people that are not 100% sure how to use this method so read closely :)

Thanks to Tony for taking the time to put this together.

-----------------------------

Pic1
FD41D180-F10D-451B-92DF-A51CDDD78EA1.jpg
Requirements needed for shipping
1 poly box
Heat pack (24 or 36 hr)
Postage tub http://shop.reefcult...-swap-products/
Packing polystyrene
Newspaper
Kitchen roll
Brown packing tape
Fragile tape
Tools ( scissors)
Pic 2
56ACEB93-0B2C-4ABA-BBD1-E5DDDA7BCEAC.jpg
Put 2 or 4 holes in the poly box to allow heat pack to continue to work. Being that the poly boxes are a very good fit it would starve the heat pack of oxygen and stop it from working.
Pic 3
6498019E-5336-49B4-9069-C068FB74129B.jpg
Now take your heat pack still in its package and count 5 sheets of newspaper by the crease and cut around making an envelope.
Pic 4
39B15AEF-92C5-4B47-8B15-CFDF87CB9AB9.jpg
Take your posting pot and measure around a flat piece of polystyrene and cut out a circle from it so that it fits snugly inside the pot then put a hole in the middle of the polystyrene ring as this will hold your frag firmly upside down in the pot.
Pic 5
4044DB87-4A9A-4139-9B0C-40906B471EF1.jpg
Now place the frag plug in hole in centre of polystyrene disc fill tub with tank water place disc into water and close the lid. At this point it is advisable to tape around pot lid in order to prevent leaks.
Pic 6
7B69E860-6022-4006-B69C-4AFCE18D3FB6.jpg
Place pot or pots in poly box and fill level to the top of the pot with polystyrene packing making sure there is no movement of the pot you could also use crumpled newspaper or filter woolThen take some large kitchen roll fold to fit poly box this will act as a barrier between heat pack and pot (as below pic).
Pic 7

4AC1919A-7D57-494F-A9F8-A817F6696B59.jpg
Pic 8
D12A08ED-45C4-48A4-8919-B55386847D1D.jpg
Now place the folded newspaper envelope on top of kitchen roll and then place in heat pack then fold over remaining news paper and put the lid
93897C6D-83F1-4705-921C-D0F34A041AEE.jpg
Finished article
The lid has been Sellotaped around the seal to keep heat in brown tape used to hold things together and fragile tape around box

#2 JK1

JK1
  • LocationHenlow, Bedfordshire
  • Wish List:Delerium, Gagmel, HD Pinks, Intergalactic planetary, Krakatoa, Lucifers, Mega Marleys, My Medusa, Nightmare, Poker face, Purple Flares, Purple hornets, Red dwarf, Ring of fire, Salted Agave, Solar fusion, Tinkerbell, Tyreehouse of horror
  • My Real Name:John

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Excellent work Tony. I don't put holes in my boxes. I am interested to find out the difference though. I will put two identical boxes outside one with holes and one without and use my temp probe to check them the next day. I probably wrong but I thought that putting holes in would be more likely to make the heat pack burn out quicker and allow heat to escape? Especially with holes that size. I've never found a heat pack to be cold after opening a sealed box even after I held one outside for 48 hours, the boxes I use are the same size as the one puctured. I hope you prove me wrong, I'm always looking to improve on packing and I've never tested with holes so I'm intrigued. Thanks again Tony.

r42p.jpg

#3 fish4london

fish4london
  • Locationorpington
  • Wish List:strawberry Wine,God of War
  • My Real Name:Steve

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Nice walk through will help me immensly as im just getting started with this new addiction :) many thanks

#4 shawy2510

shawy2510
  • LocationLeicester
  • Wish List:Something I do not have ;)
  • My Real Name:Andy

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I do mine the same way & just stick a pen hole through rarther than the bigger holes & it works a treat :)

#5 MrMo

MrMo
  • LocationIlford, Essex
  • My Real Name:Mo

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Great write up Tony, another great method to pack zoas :)

Mo.

#6 Ross

Ross
  • LocationStevenage, Hertfordshire
  • Wish List:Exploding Suns
    Dark Knights
    Rose Nebulas
    Nightmares
    Ding Dang
    Cherry Charm
    JF Bloodshot
    Space Monsters
    Hallucination
    Acan frags lol

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Excellent work Tony. I don't put holes in my boxes. I am interested to find out the difference though. I will put two identical boxes outside one with holes and one without and use my temp probe to check them the next day. I probably wrong but I thought that putting holes in would be more likely to make the heat pack burn out quicker and allow heat to escape? Especially with holes that size. I've never found a heat pack to be cold after opening a sealed box even after I held one outside for 48 hours, the boxes I use are the same size as the one puctured. I hope you prove me wrong, I'm always looking to improve on packing and I've never tested with holes so I'm intrigued. Thanks again Tony.

If the lid of the poly box is tight fitting a small needle size hole will do the job mate :)
Tank breaking down only a few left, check the sales

#7 Stephain

Stephain
  • LocationTwickenham
  • Wish List:anything not listed in my collection
  • My Real Name:Stephain

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

I send my stuff out in cardboard box . Frags in plastic bags and wrapped in bubble wrap
Filling is balls of newspaper . Heat pack . Seems to be ok. No
Complaints of cold water. Always make a hole as not to deplete air required for heat pack to keep working.
I find this method keeps the costs down and also no major hassle with storage of poly boxes
It works for me

#8 Stephain

Stephain
  • LocationTwickenham

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

The reason for holes in boxes is
Heat packs use oxygen to keep working. In a secure box this can be used up therefore the heat pack stops working.
A recent delayed import proved this fact
2 heat packs within a largish poly box. Fully sealed.
Day delay. Open box to find water cold as heat packs. Within a short period the heat packs began to work again

#9 Tojo

Tojo

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

The reason for holes in boxes is
Heat packs use oxygen to keep working. In a secure box this can be used up therefore the heat pack stops working.
A recent delayed import proved this fact
2 heat packs within a largish poly box. Fully sealed.
Day delay. Open box to find water cold as heat packs. Within a short period the heat packs began to work again

thanks stephain for explaining the reason for holes in box

#10 Tojo

Tojo

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Also the holes in the poly box picture have been made larger so that people can see what I ment A pencil hole is large enough

#11 Stephain

Stephain
  • LocationTwickenham

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Great write up by the way
Nice

#12 Tojo

Tojo

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Great write up by the way
Nice

cheers mate

#13 JK1

JK1
  • LocationHenlow, Bedfordshire
  • Wish List:Delerium, Gagmel, HD Pinks, Intergalactic planetary, Krakatoa, Lucifers, Mega Marleys, My Medusa, Nightmare, Poker face, Purple Flares, Purple hornets, Red dwarf, Ring of fire, Salted Agave, Solar fusion, Tinkerbell, Tyreehouse of horror
  • My Real Name:John

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Just opened my two boxes I left outside overnight. I will now be posting with holes! 2 degrees warmer but the heat pack felt noticeably warmer. Thanks Tony. :D

r42p.jpg

#14 Mike&Bex

Mike&Bex
  • LocationAlvechurch
  • Wish List:Fruit Loops
    Superman Paly
    Twizler
    Thundercats
    Miami Heat
    Darth Maul
    Utter Chaos
    Armageddon
    Paradise zoa
  • My Real Name:Michael and Rebecca

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Really good instructions. Unless I missed it, why the frag upside down?

#15 Jason014

Jason014

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

=) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Wish List:Just to get it right eventually.

Coming soon
  • My Real Name:Terry

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Really good instructions. Unless I missed it, why the frag upside down?

So it stays submerged and doesn't get bashed by making contact with the pot Mike. The polystyrene keeps it firmly in place.

#17 Mike&Bex

Mike&Bex
  • LocationAlvechurch
  • Wish List:Fruit Loops
    Superman Paly
    Twizler
    Thundercats
    Miami Heat
    Darth Maul
    Utter Chaos
    Armageddon
    Paradise zoa
  • My Real Name:Michael and Rebecca

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

But if you but the poly at the bottom and the frag plug up right, same concept? I thought there was a specifc reason it was upside down, now I understand it is just to keep it firmly in place. Thanks :)

#18 robster

robster
  • LocationDaventry Northants
  • Wish List:Just looking for something nice
  • My Real Name:Robbie

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Is there anywhere that sells the poly boxes

zs-badge-blueeyed.pngzs-badge-anemone.pngzs-badge-lightled.pngzs-badge-flood.pngzs-badge-rasta.png

#19 Steszoas

Steszoas
  • Locationpr7 6an
  • Wish List:BBEBs, Fruit loops,
  • My Real Name:Stephen

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

nice right up cheers,

the uni heat warmer you are using is different to the uni heat shipping warmer. I just order the warmers you have in the pic by mistake and comparing them to the shipping warmer theres quite a difference. The temps they reach  average at-  shipping warmer ave- 70 f,  multifunction warmer ave - 130 f  

does this present a problem cos ive got 40 of them and ran out of the shipping ones? thanks

stephen

#20 Philb0y

Philb0y

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Is there anywhere that sells the poly boxes

ebay seems to be the place to get em.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users