• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarineGrrrl

MarineGrrrl
  • LocationBarnsley
  • My Real Name:Lesley

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hello everyone!

This is the first time I have posted on here, and unfortunately it's because I need your help.

I am just returning to keeping a marine tank after a break of about 8 years and have found things have moved on quite a bit.

Luckily I have set up a quarantine tank straight away - been stung before so was not risking it. 

I bought a colony of red zoas a week ago which were fine for a few days but stopped opening properly at the weekend. I moved them in the tank to see if it was the flow they didn't like but this made no difference. Last night under blue lights i was looking with a torch to see if there was anything obvious going on with them and saw a few white bumps that looked like sand grains - but they wouldn't rub off.

Thanks to Google, I found out they have Zoa pox! I'm mortified - i've never heard of this before, and even worse the go-to treatment only really seems available in US.

What can I do? Can anyone please advise me on a course of treatment available in UK? I'm already hearing my fellas voice ringing in my ears, 'are you sure it's a good idea to get another tank??!!!!!'

#2 Scaze

Scaze
  • LocationBasingstoke
  • My Real Name:Michael

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hi. Sorry to hear about your pox. You need to get hold of some Furan 2. Though I think it's quite hard to get hold of. Someone on here may well have some they'll sell you though. I also seem to recall a thread on here, from a few years back, where worming tablets were used. Sorry I can't be anymore help and hope you get it sorted.

#3 Scaze

Scaze
  • LocationBasingstoke
  • My Real Name:Michael

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

You could also try an iodine dip, but I'm not sure how affective it would be.

#4 MarineGrrrl

MarineGrrrl
  • LocationBarnsley
  • My Real Name:Lesley

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

Thank you Scaze. I have ordered some Furan 2 from US, but it's going to be at least a week before I get it unfortunately.

In the meantime, I found a thread from a few years ago talking about dipping in Dettol so i'm going to be calling to the supermarket on my way home tonight.

Fingers crossed!  :)

#5 Grant

Grant

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

Get Furan 2 off eBay. It comes from the states, so will take a couple weeks to arrive. Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zoa pox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users