Sump lights ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Shaun
  • LocationBarnsley
  • My Real Name:Shaun Hull

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

Looking to add a sump light for cheto & other good sump algaes that pods like to grow in ?
My sump is the standard one that comes with the reef space 900 so not massive but should make a good place for pods to grow and help ph swings ?
What lights are people using in there sump ?
Thanks guys and girls

#2 Jon

Jon
  • My Real Name:Jon

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

6500k bulbs is what you need mate. Which is daylight bulbs.

If your going to grow caulerpa algae try keep lights on all time so LED is way forward. Caulerpa will go asexual if lights go out for long periods and leach the nutrients back in to the tank. Safest bet is just stick with Chaetomorpha algae and when ur display lights go off turn sump lights on this will help with ph swings when the display lights are on turn sump lights off. I have loads if you want some?

Jon

#3 Shaun

Shaun
  • LocationBarnsley

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply mate that makes sense I guess if lights are off for 12h it could cause it to go asexual?
Hopefully picking my light up this week al give you a shout if you still have some for sale ?
Thanks again

#4 Jon

Jon
  • My Real Name:Jon

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

No worries glad I could help

Jon

#5 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

I hav a DIY led light in my sump with a mixture of cool whites, natural white, royal blue and 660mn reds, some running at 1000ma and some at 350ma
It's on for about 18hrs on reverse daylight ....as mentioned above to help keep the ph form swinging too much.

makes sure you do the lighting over lap before the DT lights start to ramp down...or a few hours before they turn off....the same in the morning

My sump doesn't switch off till 2pm and then back on around 6-7pm

#6 Shaun

Shaun
  • LocationBarnsley

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:35 AM

Thanks chop chop I would have had mine come on about 10-15 min before main lights and 10-15 min before them going off. Why such an overlap ?

#7 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

The reason the ph drops is due to carbonic acid realeased by the algae/ macro algae when the lights are off...this happens slowly....and in return when the lights are on ....the ph raises slowly too...I think from memory to get your highest ph levels is around 6 hrs in day time.
So by having a big overlap your giving the sump time to stabilised

Make sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users