Photo

When complete wipeouts occur.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andie360

Andie360
  • LocationSouth West.
  • Wish List:A greedy git so all of them.
  • My Real Name:Andie

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

Over the last 4 years I have had complete wipeouts in two nano approx 140 litre frag tanks. On both occasions water params were in check, salinity at 1.025- 1.026 with few if any corals able to leach toxins into the tanks so pretty much zoa based tanks. It baffles me as the maintanance has been second to none.

No warning and the first sign usually a dead fish, within 24 hours complete closure of approx 300 to 400 zoas and then complete meltdown.

Major water changes seem to have no affect as the problem has already taken hold on the demise of the stock.

My thinking ,narrowed it down to the sand bed that may have a shelf life before it turns rogue with a massive build up of something, I would have thought Nitrates but always tested fine. I say thinking sand bed as my 4 tanks that are bare bottom have never had a problem.
I was wondering if anybody else has ever had a similar problem and if they found the cause.

#2 kroozing

kroozing
  • LocationBarnsley
  • Wish List:Anything bright and pretty.
  • My Real Name:Chris

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

If your salinity is 0.25 mate that is it. Did you mean 1.025?

#3 Andie360

Andie360
  • LocationSouth West.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

If your salinity is 0.25 mate that is it. Did you mean 1.025?

:-))))) yes 1.025 but usually I run the zoa tanks at 1.026 each crash has been @ 2years.

#4 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

With your SB...do you have any CUC turning it over...cause you can get toxic build up ( and gases) in the sand.

I suppose the other thing worth mentioning...is dead fish or inverts.....or even algae can turn things bad

#5 kroozing

kroozing
  • LocationBarnsley
  • Wish List:Anything bright and pretty.
  • My Real Name:Chris

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

i think Chopchop could be right, just because its roughly the same period everytime

#6 RyanB

RyanB
  • LocationSt Leonards on Sea
  • Wish List:Blue planet grandis, fairy farts, emeralds on fire, cyber demons, alien eye black people eater, cherry charms and many more I can't remember the names off

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

i think Chopchop could be right, just because its roughly the same period everytime

Bloody hell don't say things like that. He'll get a big head lol

Might be worth giving the sand a stir when you do a water change if you don't already. I do mine once a month before I change any water.

#7 klynn

klynn

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

something to take a note on..My tiger shrimp has been digging everywhere around tank. Not sure if its good or bad but thinik its doing more negatives.. PLanning on syphoning out few part of sandbed out at a time during WC..and probably go bare-bottom in future. my tank is a mess atm.

#8 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

Bloody hell don't say things like that. He'll get a big head lol.

I don't know what ya mean??
AE1C21E0-DA08-4C4F-8141-B12D681A5552_zps

#9 Andie360

Andie360
  • LocationSouth West.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

:-) yes the tanks had overkill cuc like 100 hermits nassy snails etc so always kept tip top with the bed being turned naturally. Also never lost inverts that seems odd.

As I said in the bare bottom tanks never a hitch, could possibly have been overload of zoas and palys but one lesson learned only sand collecting palys in a sand bed tank. Could also be a bad batch of NSW but then again one tank never had it. The two year thing may have just been a coincident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users