Photo

Rubbish Bite Alarms

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Big Al

Big Al
  • LocationRayleigh, Essex

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

I think it was just over 2 years ago... I had a bit of cash & wanted a nice new bite alarm with receiver. There were a couple of new kids on the block to make a change from the usual, tough practical, delkims. New Fox alarms, Nash sirens and wychwood epics... I loved the look of the epics, very sleek & smart. Got 2 and a receiver for about £250? They worked fine for the year & my Mrs bought me 2 more alarms to complete the set. I never used the 2 new ones cos my son was born & I took a year off fishing, so they've all been sitting in their boxes waiting for new batteries and the chance to shine. I decided to get batteries & set them up for a fishing trip tomorrow, and then I discover that none of them work. As soon as you put a battery in 2 of them they just stay beeping, and won't stop or do anything else till you take the battery out. The other 2 appear to work, until you simulate a bite, then they go strange, flickering leds & turn off. I cannot believe it... So gutted & angry & disappointed! No receipts, not sure I'll get any help from the shop or company after all this time, even if they are effectively still new! :wacko: Googled to see if anyone else had the problem & it looks like everyone who had them has had massive problems. I don't even think they are doing them any more. Must have been a big pile of crap from the very beginning! Anyway... Apologies... I just needed to rant. Now I can relax - a little 😡

#2 chopchop

chopchop
  • LocationSutton ,London
  • Wish List:Global Moderator
  • My Real Name:Jason

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Can't you just tie a bit of string to you big toe.........huckle berry fin never went hungry !!!.......lol

#3 Tojo

Tojo
  • My Real Name:tony

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

What's the name of them al might be some lads down in the lakes that might know how to sort them out for you

#4 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

What's the name of them al might be some lads down in the lakes that might know how to sort them out for you

They are Wychwood Epics Tony

#5 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

Can't you just tie a bit of string to you big toe.........huckle berry fin never went hungry !!!.......lol

I'd rather not mate... If I caught a monster, it might pull me in

#6 TilerJay65

TilerJay65
  • LocationSarf West London
  • Wish List:Kelly Brook & Denise Van Outen

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

you might find you need to tune them into receiver before they work not sure i use nevilles mate the simpler the better for me

#7 Tojo

Tojo
  • My Real Name:tony

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

They are Wychwood Epics Tony

I will put out a Few texts tomorrow and fing out mate

#8 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

Cheers mate... I think I'm well and truly knackered though. Feels a bit like I've put about £400 on the horse that came last 😡

#9 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

you might find you need to tune them into receiver before they work not sure i use nevilles mate the simpler the better for me

It's not the receiver that's the problem mate. That appears to be ok.
The alarms are knackered and won't do anything at all

#10 TilerJay65

TilerJay65

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

ah ok no worries just seemed odd they all had same problem,where you fishing ?

#11 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

Will be fishing blasford - near Chelmsford hospital. Although the weather forecast and these alarms are kind of making me feel like I'd rather just not bother. Trouble is, I'm taking a friend, his son & my son, and I can't let all of them down. I think they have been looking forward to this

#12 TilerJay65

TilerJay65

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:29 PM

used to fish over Chelmsford way years ago gravel pit called marconi's think its a syndicate now,& i know what you mean with the kids I'm  taking my son next week & he hasn't stopped talking about it

#13 Big Daddy K

Big Daddy K
  • LocationBraintree, Essex
  • Wish List:Moon on a Stick
  • My Real Name:Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

I can see why you picked them Al, they look the tits.

It'll probably take a little longer but have you contacted wychwood-carp.co.uk directly.

I am sure they will help you out. How can they not? They are the only ones that make them.

zs-badge-blueeyed.pngzs-badge-tank500.pngzs-badge-sps.pngzs-badge-lps.pngzs-badge-lightt5.pngzs-badge-allaquatics.pngzs-badge-eyecandy.pngzs-badge-reefculture.pngzs-badge-flood.png

#14 Big Daddy K

Big Daddy K

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

Will be fishing blasford - near Chelmsford hospital. Although the weather forecast and these alarms are kind of making me feel like I'd rather just not bother. Trouble is, I'm taking a friend, his son & my son, and I can't let all of them down. I think they have been looking forward to this

and you don't really need bite alarms at blasford mate. its a good busy day there :D

zs-badge-blueeyed.pngzs-badge-tank500.pngzs-badge-sps.pngzs-badge-lps.pngzs-badge-lightt5.pngzs-badge-allaquatics.pngzs-badge-eyecandy.pngzs-badge-reefculture.pngzs-badge-flood.png

#15 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

Little update - on a much brighter note... I spoke to the guy at Angling Direct who sold me the alarms 2 + years ago & he said there was a known problem with these alarms, and to bring them back so that he could return them to Wychwood. Got a phone call today to say that wychwood have credited the store back with the original purchase price... So I have c£440 too spend on 4 alarms (6 if I can budget for 6) and a receiver. Well pleased with that... Now... What do I go for?

#16 RedDiver

RedDiver
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Wish List:Just to get it right eventually.

Coming soon
  • My Real Name:Terry

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

That's a brilliant result mate. You couldn't ask for better customer service. With that in mind it might just be worth considering buying some more of the same brand only the newer models.

#17 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

That thought had occurred to me too Terry. I couldn't believe it when he said full refund. The new wychwood alarms are the solace... Which are now much cheaper... Something like £40 each - about half my original spend, so could easily get a set of 6 plus receiver and still have change for something else! Not sure if anyone here uses the solace? Online reviews seem pretty good though

#18 Big Daddy K

Big Daddy K

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

You can't go wrong with fox alarms mate, and i think they do them in waterproof box set whihc is a bonus

#19 red sea dave

red sea dave
  • Locationaldershot
  • My Real Name:dave

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

Delkims all the way for me the txi

#20 Big Al

Big Al

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

I think you have to go for the top of the Delkim range to be compatible with the radio transmitter... Which looks like about £130 each... Great kit... but sadly a bit pricey for me I think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users